5 Strategies for Successful Weight Loss
Ellen Agius Nutritionist
1. Keep food simple
- Eating simple foods leads to eating less and helps reduce body fat
- Stick to plain whole foods like baked fish, sweet potatoes and steamed vegetables rather than fried fish, chips etc which you will tend to overeat.
- Eat simpler foods and decrease the number of ingredients such as extra flavourings, added fats etc.
2. Eat Enough food but not too much!
- If you eat too little your metabolic rate will decrease which increases fat storage.
- Chronic undereating increases levels of stress hormones and promotes belly fat.
- Undereating leads to fatigue and feeling unwell over time and you will not want to exercise.
3. Move throughout the day
- Sitting too much reduces the benefits of exercise and can stop weight loss
- To increase fat burning stand up from your desk every 30 minutes and walk around your house
- Use a fitness tracker to track your steps – track your steps and then simple increase by 500 more steps each day or over a few days until you build up to the 10,000 steps a day
4. Make sure you are getting enough minerals
- You may need a mineral support supplement.A deficiency in Zinc, calcium or magnesium can lead to sugar cravings and cause you to eat too many calories.
5. Experiment with spices.coriander, cinnamon, nutmeg will naturally sweeten your food and reduce cravings
- Tumeric can help your body burn fat as it is a warming spice and increases body heat which boosts your metabolism
- Cinnamon will naturally sweeten your food and reduce cravings.It curbs hunger, controls blood sugar levels and makes you feel fuller for longer.Add it to oatmeal, yoghurt or put in tea.
- Cayenne pepper also raises body temperature and boosts your metabolism so you burn more calories. Sprinkle on nuts, soups etc.
- Cumin.A recent study stated that adding cumin seeds to meals can help you burn three times more fat.It is a great spice and you can add it to soups, veggies etc.
- Ginger helps control blood sugar levels and also has fat-burning properties.Add it to your tea, salads, fish, fruit etc.Also a study found that drinking a hot ginger drink such as ginger tea help people feel fuller for longer.
To support your own weight loss book appointment with me for a Body composition scan for just $25 to discuss your goals and how I can support you with a successful weight loss plan to suit you.